The Fano Cathedral, located on Via Arco d’Augusto, has ancient origins. Dedicated to San Fortunato, the Cathedral was built in 1140 on the ruins of the existing Santa Maria Maggiore cathedral, destroyed by fire in 1124. The numerous interventions and changes over the centuries had significantly altered the façade. After the last careful restoration of the 1928 work carried out by the engineer Cesare Selvelli that by changing the first part of a project by architect Edward Collamarini, has returned to the church dignity of art. The brick and sandstone facade now appears with its simple Romanesque appearance, tripartite and enriched by a portal where cosmateschi influences manifest themselves in inlaid marble decorations that liven up the pillars and arches of the splay, alternating with smooth white marble columns and pink in the center of the architrave stands out the relief of the lamb of God. Very beautiful also carved the frame of the great eye at the top, where you notice the gap left by the missing rose. The interior has three naves, surmounted by low vaults, has kept the plaster that conceals the original brick facings, with the exception of some bare arches remittances during the general restoration of 1940-41. The general structure of the cathedral remained the original, despite some changes. Inside there are some works of great beauty, including the impressive pulpit, composed in 1941 by several items that belonged to the ancient church sucultorei archaic as the four lions, frames zoomorphic Band and the beautiful reliefs of the balustrade. Among the chapels of the world famous Chapel Nolfi, which takes its name from the two patricians Fano Guido Cesare Nolfi and that after the 1604 commissioned work landscaping architect Girolamo Rainaldi, who designed the rich plastic decoration of the roof and side walls, made then by the plasterer Pietro Solari, which frame you can admire the beautiful sixteen episodes of Life of the Virgin by Domenico Zampieri, called Domenichino, painted between 1618 and 1619. The altarpiece is the work dell’anconetano Andrea Lilli, where is shown Paradise and the Assumption, 1606, while the busts of two Nolfi placed on their tombstones are by Francesco Caporale. The Cathedral has other valuable works, including painting made in 1613 by Ludovico Carracci Virgin in Glory with Saints and bishops comprotettori Bear and Eusebius, who is on the altar of the chapel to the right of the presbytery, flanked by the works of Fano Giangolini Bartholomew, Master of the Carracci.
© 2012 Hospitality Web - email@example.com