Piazza Tre Martiri is the old heart of Rimini. Due to its location, Rimini became one of the most important centres connecting the south and north of the country, and the starting point for long journeys to the main destinations of Central and Eastern Europe. Piazza Tre Martiri was the old forum where important events in the public life of Ariminum were held. There is still a statue of Julius Caesar here with a cippus that says how the Roman Emperor addressed his legion after they crossed the Rubicon on their way to Rome. The centre of the city was also the crossroads of the decumano maximus, the current Corso Augusto that connected the Arco di Augusto and Via Flaminia – which began at Ponte Milvio in Rome – with Ponte di Tiberio from which began, and coincided in their first tract, Via Emilia in the direction of Piacenza and Via Popilia in the direction of Aquileia. It was also the crossroads of the cardo maximus, the current Via Garibaldi and Via IV Novembre, where the Piedmont road to Arezzo joined the coastal road.
On the eastern side of the square is the colonnade with the Clock Tower, a handsome structure built in 1547 and to which a dial was added in 1753 that marked the days, movements of the zodiac and lunar phases. The square was renamed Tre Martiri (Three Martyrs) in honour of three partisans who died in 1944.
Walking towards Ponte di Tiberio, you will soon reach Piazza Cavour, the square which currently represents the beating heart of Rimini, and take the chance to have a pleasant rest.